What Natural Light Does For Your Body
That’s for sure natural light instead of artificial light reduces energy consumption and lowers your electricity bill. But did you know how important natural light is important to your productivity and overall health? Find out all the benefits of seeking sunlight instead of artificial light.
Natural light boosts your body’s vitamin D storage
Vitamin D is important for absorbing calcium and promoting bone growth, as well as helping prevent certain types of cancers, heart disease, depression and weight gain. Yet, many of us have a vitamin D deficiency due to a lack of outdoor sun exposure. So while designing your interior ask your designer/ architect to keep the design clutter free so that enough gets into the apartment since scientists suggest that Vitamin D may be helpful in treating many different disorders and diseases, such as autism, cancer, diabetes, chronic pain and depression.
Natural light leads to higher productivity
A study by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology found that employees working in natural light recorded higher levels of energy than those working under artificial light. Another study showed 40 percent higher sales at checkout counters located beneath skylights. Even for toddlers and readers absorbs better and faster in a house which is flooded with sunlight. This data confirms what many studies have shown: natural light leads to enhanced productivity.
Natural light benefits vision
For us kind of urban population who spends 90% of their time in-house , effort needs to be taken to ensure natural light percolates in the rooms. Computer screens, smart phones and florescent light can cause eye strain that can lead to permanent eye damage. Natural light has been shown to lower the risk of nearsightedness in children and young adults by helping the eye produce dopamine, which aids in healthy eye development.
Natural light helps you sleep
Research shows that the amount of sunlight you receive during the day has a direct impact on how much sleep you get at night. Direct sunlight, especially early in the morning for at least half an hour, produces the most benefit for a good night’s sleep while artificial lighting has little to no effect. In fact, artificial light before bed and at night can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cancer if you’re unable to consistently obtain quality sleep. It’s a common phenomenon amongst us urban population, our stress level is quite high as a result we lose our good night sleep and often get dependent on sleeping pills for a good night sleep. Because of our ignorance about the fact that sunlight plays such a vital role in sleep.
Natural light improves your mood
Did you know that there is a type of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder, which affects many people in the winter when they do not receive enough sunlight? Scientists believe that the “happy” hormone called serotonin increases when nights are short and days are long. In fact, many psychiatrists recommend that people get out in the sunlight for at least 30 minutes a day to help prevent or treat depression.
Now the question arises as how to enhance natural sunlight in the room?
- If a new building layout is to be designed, then proper consideration should be taken so that one structure of a cluster shouldn’t obstruct the passage of light in other tower/building.
- While designing the room and window layout the precaution to be taken based on the direction of sunset and sunrise.
- The windows of the apartments should be designed large enough to allow the direct sunlight enters the room.
- The rooms which doesn’t get enough sunlight because of shadow from adjacent tower /building the rooms can be fitted with mirror as wall panels which will not only enhance the indirect light in the room but also will create an illusion as if the room size is quite big.
- The walls adjacent to the windows shouldn’t be colored with dark shade as it will absorb the lights coming from the windows.
- The wall color shade should be chosen carefully, brighter wall color enhances the room’s light.
- Heavy furniture shouldn’t be put against the windows as it obstructs the entry of sunlight.
Source my ID design team.